Wednesday, August 18, 2010

recovery episode II

its been a month since i had my angio...its had its ups and its had its downs. i must admit i have sat here watching how it has been affecting other people and i am happy too see positive results for many. that said, my own recovery is different.

maybe its that i dont understand how to recover? today i learned that i CAN do sit ups...my muscles work very well i just have to remember how to use them. when i tried real hard it happened and it got easier after that. im very happy at this moment... because up to this point its been a frustrating ride.

as an example of how its been, my legs are lifting better...MUCH better...this has been a very welcomed improvement for sure...unlocking new skills on the 2 flights of stairs i have in my home. now the thing that has not recovered nearly as well (maybe not at all?) has been my balance and co-ordination...this i have discovered is a real problem. with my legs lifting better, it has given me a false impresion that i can walk without a cane. it always starts off well...leg lifts and moves forward fine enough but i cant seen to control where it lands...this poses a problem for me when it lands on my other foot and momentum keeps me moving forward!!

my mood swings are also still absent for the most part...EVERYBODY in the house is happy about this...EVERYBODY. so as you can imagine home life has been more easy going than usual...that takes stress off of me and makes me easier to deal with...this makes life better for jen and i have learned... a happy wife = a happy husband, and thats just good for everyone.

i am encouraged,

steve

6 comments:

  1. That does sound very encouraging, Steve. Are you going to physio at all? Balance is a learned behavior, so keep practicing, and keep up all of your good work; before long, you'll have wash board abs from all of your situps. :)

    Diana Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are looking up :D I hope you are going to physio as it is really helping me. I want a picture of those washboard abs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant afford physio...its free for people under 20, over 65 or if you are on social assistance. so im on my own...but i like a challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    My balance is till bad too - vertigo along with it. Your doctor should refer someone from CCAC to help you with physio (she comes to my home, no charge) and there is also outpatient physio at hospital - also no charge - I can't afford it either and so am up the creek that way. The doc is also referring me to a vestibular clinic at hospital for balance/vertigo - could be an inner ear thing as well, and nothing to do with MS.

    So happy that you're encouraged! (Oh, my mood has done a major 360 too. Am weaning off of antidepressants. Now down from 225 mg/day to 37.5/day - and soon none)

    You're getting there, buddy! One shaky step at a time, we all are. And by now you've learned (like I did) that you still don't bounce when you fall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had my birthday too Steve and I'm doing well but am tired today - no good reason. Perhaps I'm overdoing it. Pleased to hear your progress is good, especially your mood swings. Finding out where your feet are could take a little more time. All the best - Shared Birthdays and all!
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steve. Mood swings gone is super great. Glad to hear you and Janeybaby are feeling that...I'm looking forward to getting rid of those too!!! I have inner ear stuff related to MS...and I see an ENT...he's got me on a diuretic which helps a bit...so see if you can get a referral. And I think it's logical that if your body is so used to acting a certain way for so long, it will need some time to relearn how to do things. You hear that with people who have strokes that have to relearn how to do basic tasks. Well, doesn't MS act like that? Damage to the brain being repaired...definitely call CCAC...they have come to my house to give me physio before and OT and they are free...for everybody. Now that the mood swings are better, concentrate on the positive (yeck but) like being able to pee standing up! :) I can't wait to pee without having to sit there for 25 minutes....grrr ;) Keep going...you now have years to get better...no death threat hanging out over your head ;) enjoy it! Stace

    ReplyDelete